Across from the civic garden is the Irish House Museum. Representing the cultures found in the area. Also known as the Polokwane (Pietersburg) Museum August Julius Herman Meske decided to build a business on the corner of Vorster and Market Street. In 1906 a fire destroyed just about the whole of Market Street Mbske’s shop was not spared the disaster. He then rebuilt the shop with clock tower and all with the aid of prefabricated steel construction that he imported from Germany.
During the First World War he was interned in a concentration camp. On his return he found his business nearly bankrupt. He sold the business to James Albert Jones who continued his already successful business in Irish House. He specialized in imported fashionable clothing for ladies that he personally bought in Europe.
Today the history of Polokwane (Pietersburg) is represented in the building. Hugh Exton Photographic Museum
Housed in the Old Dutch Reformed Church. A collection of 23 000 glass negatives taken by the photographer Hugh Exton. The negatives captured the first 50 years of Polokwane (Pietersburg).