Hardekool – Combretum imberba
- Very hard wood – used to make blades for hoes, before metal – excellent firewood, burns slowly
- Not resisitant to fire, once alight it burns to nothing
- Ash has high lime content & is used as toothpaste and as a substitute for whitewash
- The Hereos never destroy these trees, they believe they are the ancestors of the people
- Smoke from the burning leaves is inhaled to relive coughs & colds
- An older tree often hollow therefore there is a chimney effect when burning, also seen in the Tamboti.