Mookopong (Naboomspruit)

It had its beginnings in 1886 when JKG van Zyl settled on the farm Vischgat (‘fish hole‘). Later it became known as Kaufmann’s Store. There were stables and a small trading post here in the days when horse-drawn mail coaches plied between Pretoria and Polokwane (Pietersburg). The town’s present name is derived from the Euphorbia ingens and a nearby stream. Euphorbia ingens is a large succulent that grows to a height of 9m. At first glance it resembles a tree – hence its Afrikaans name of naboom meaning ‘like a tree.

The town itself dates from 1910 when a prospector by the name of Adolph Erasmus discovered good deposits of tin on the farms Doornhoek (‘thorny corner’) and Welgevonden (‘well found’) in the Waterberg, west of Kaufmann’s Place. Like the discoveries of gold this led to a rush by fortune hunters and the result was that Mookopong (Naboomspruit) was born. Erasmus also discovered platinum, which led to further development.

Municipal Area: 3.616km2

Location: 1 OOkm south of Polokwane (Pietersburg)

Educational Facilities: 2 pre-primary; 3 primary; & 2 high schools Main Places of Interest: Nylsvlei Nature Reserve, Holiday resorts. Joint