The spit of sand forming the northern arm of the harbour is known as the Point. It is built up with harbour buildings, warehouses, the Addington Hospital and its staff residences. It ends at the North Pier that is one of the two piers built to make the harbour entrance narrower, deeper and easier to dredge.
The Point was the terminal of the first railway in southern Africa. A 24-horsepower steam train engine was imported from Britain in pieces and assembled by the driver. The train’s maiden journey ran from Durban to the Point, a 3km trip, and took place on 23 June 1860. The locomotive later broke down and oxen then pulled the train.