St. Peter’s Church, or Bishop J.W. Colenso’s Cathedral, stands at the corner of Church and Chapel Streets. Sophy Grey, wife of the Bishop of Cape Town, probably drew the first sketches. The stained glass windows were brought from a pre-Reformation Abbey in England and are believed to be of Flemish origin.
The important role that this church played in the diocese of Natal came to an end with the death of John William Colenso in 1883. He was buried in front of the altar.