St. Paul’s Church

Opposite  the  city  hall,  on  Church  Square,  in the  Medwood Gardens,  stands  St.  Paul’s Church.   The foundation stone was laid on 1 ih March 1853.  The first service was held in an uncompleted church due to the lack of funds.   In 1890 the church was the first  building in Durban to have electric lights, though it was generated by the church’s own generator.   It is one of six churches in  South Africa that have a full peal of bells, known as a carillon. They are hung in a full circle and are rung by rope and wheel in the old English style.

Sani Pass

Sani Pass

The spectacular Sani Pass pierces the Drakensberg Mountains through a narrow defile cut by the...

Mont-aux-Sources

Mont-aux-Sources

In 1830 two missionaries explored the mountains and when they reached the eastern edge they found...

Giant’s Castle

Giant’s Castle

South of Cathkin Peak the main wall of the Drakensberg maintains a level of more than 3 OOOm for...

Cathkin Peak

Cathkin Peak

One of the great cornerstones of the main wall of the Drakensberg, Cathkin Peak, stands out so...

Cathedral Peak

Cathedral Peak

For many years Cathedral Peak was known as Zikhali's Horn - after the son of Matiwane. King...

Mandela Monument

Mandela Monument

A little  known chapter  in President  Mandala's  history took place right in the  midlands of...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za