Old Government House

The Colonial Government bought this house in Long Market Street from Sir Benjamin Pine, Lieutenant  Governor  of Natal, for  use as an official  Government  House.    Several  other governors in succession occupied it after Pine. Considerable alterations were  made to the original house to make it suitable for use as official residence.  After the establishment of the Union of South Africa in 1910 it became a training college for teachers.

Chief Langalibalele was tried and sentenced here after the rebellion of the Hlubi tribe in 1873. This old building is of architectural as well as historical importance.  It reflects the style of its period and is one of the few surviving examples of early Natal architecture.  Besides this, it is an example in the effective use that was made of the materials available at that time.

Sani Pass

Sani Pass

The spectacular Sani Pass pierces the Drakensberg Mountains through a narrow defile cut by the...

Mont-aux-Sources

Mont-aux-Sources

In 1830 two missionaries explored the mountains and when they reached the eastern edge they found...

Giant’s Castle

Giant’s Castle

South of Cathkin Peak the main wall of the Drakensberg maintains a level of more than 3 OOOm for...

Cathkin Peak

Cathkin Peak

One of the great cornerstones of the main wall of the Drakensberg, Cathkin Peak, stands out so...

Cathedral Peak

Cathedral Peak

For many years Cathedral Peak was known as Zikhali's Horn - after the son of Matiwane. King...

Mandela Monument

Mandela Monument

A little  known chapter  in President  Mandala's  history took place right in the  midlands of...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za