Old Government House

The Colonial Government bought this house in Long Market Street from Sir Benjamin Pine, Lieutenant  Governor  of Natal, for  use as an official  Government  House.    Several  other governors in succession occupied it after Pine. Considerable alterations were  made to the original house to make it suitable for use as official residence.  After the establishment of the Union of South Africa in 1910 it became a training college for teachers.

Chief Langalibalele was tried and sentenced here after the rebellion of the Hlubi tribe in 1873. This old building is of architectural as well as historical importance.  It reflects the style of its period and is one of the few surviving examples of early Natal architecture.  Besides this, it is an example in the effective use that was made of the materials available at that time.

Umgeni River Bird Park

Umgeni River Bird Park

The Umgeni Bird Park at Riverside has a collection of over 3 000 exotic birds and indigenous birds...

University of Natal

University of Natal

King George Avenue - From the top of Jubilee Gardens, the University offers a spectacular view of...

Mitchell Park

Mitchell Park

This was once an unprofitable ostrich farm, named after Sir Charles Hugh Mitchell who came to...

Durban Botanical Gardens

Durban Botanical Gardens

The Durban Botanical Gardens are situated in Sydenham Road, on the eastern slope of the ridge...

Fun Strip

Fun Strip

On the western side of the Marine Parade is an imposing line of hotels.  The eastern side is taken...

uShaka Marine World

uShaka Marine World

Turtles, sharks, marine shells, crayfish, octopus, corals, seals, dolphins and plenty more are...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za