The Colonial Government bought this house in Long Market Street from Sir Benjamin Pine, Lieutenant Governor of Natal, for use as an official Government House. Several other governors in succession occupied it after Pine. Considerable alterations were made to the original house to make it suitable for use as official residence. After the establishment of the Union of South Africa in 1910 it became a training college for teachers.
Chief Langalibalele was tried and sentenced here after the rebellion of the Hlubi tribe in 1873. This old building is of architectural as well as historical importance. It reflects the style of its period and is one of the few surviving examples of early Natal architecture. Besides this, it is an example in the effective use that was made of the materials available at that time.