The Natal Settlers Museum, also known as the Old House Museum, stands in St. Andrew’s Street, near Albert Park. The two-roomed wattle and daub house was erected during 1849. It was sold to George Robinson, publisher of The Natal Mercury, in 1858. His son, Sir John Robinson, was the first Prime Minister of Natal and the house has been enlarged as expected. The property was later donated to the municipality to be used as a museum to house memorabilia of the early settlers.
The museum has an extraordinary French clock with a great number of dials, giving time, date, day, phases of the moon, equinoxes, barometric pressure and other information.
Another exhibit is a sundial made in Europe in 1700 and brought to Durban before the owner realised that it would be useless as it was designed for the Northern Hemisphere. The historical Monuments of South Africa – J.J. Oberholster