Mitchell Park

This was once an unprofitable ostrich farm, named after Sir Charles Hugh Mitchell who came to Natal as Colonial secretary in 1877 and in 1889.  After having served in the Fiji islands, he became Governor of Natal and held this position for 15 years.

By the end of 1902, over two hectares of the farm had been cleared of the indigenous Berea bush, leaving the best specimens of the natural trees to form the basis of the  park.  The following five years saw the introduction of Mountain-, spotted- and Indian deer, as well as the local duiker-gazelle.

Voortrekker Camp, Congella

Voortrekker Camp, Congella

Congella is situated on the most westerly bend of the Bay of Natal, about a kilometre from the Old...

Grave of Lieut. J.S. King

Grave of Lieut. J.S. King

King was the commander of the ship Salisbury which, together with the Julia, were trading along...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za