This museum is housed in Durban’s first public building, which was erected as a courthouse and post office in 1865 on Durban’s Market Square. Note the Victorian date of 1863, in the central pediment. It is an early colonial interpretation of the then current Classical Revival style thought suitable for, public buildings. Its collection was started in 1887 and one room exhibits costumes worn by South African men, women and children between 1750 and modern times. It includes a reconstruction of the wattle and daub cottage of Henry Francis
Flynn, one of Durban’s pioneers; an old sugar-mill which works; Miss Flynn’s Fancy Repository; and a reconstruction of shops from the past.