Durban City Hall

During 1903 the Town Council of Durban invited architects to submit designs for a new town hall.  Stanley G Hudson submitted the winning design which, for the time, was considered as ‘very bold and progressive’.   The  building is a  good example of Edwardian neo-Baroque architecture and is embellished with groups of allegorical sculptures representing the Arts, Music,  Literature,  Commerce  and Industry.   Sculptures  on the  main  pediment represent Britannia, Unity and Patriotism.   The two maritime groups suggest Durban’s great source of commerce, health and beauty.  The clock in the tower is the official timekeeper of Durban. The design included three buildings behind the facade to house the Municipal chambers, the art  gallery  and  library  as well  as  the  auditorium  that can seat 2500  people.    Upon  its completion in  1910, the original town hall that previously housed the Post office was utilised entirely as such.   It  is a  close replica of the Belfast city hall in Northern Ireland.   The  art gallery contains ceramics, silver, ivories and a general collection of paintings by local  and international artists.

Standard Bank

Standard Bank

Church Street - The building was designed by Philip Dudgeon and is considered  to be his...

Fort Napier

Fort Napier

Fort Napier stands on a hill to the west of Pietermaritzburg, at the top of Church Street and...

Old Government House

Old Government House

The Colonial Government bought this house in Long Market Street from Sir Benjamin Pine, Lieutenant...

St. Peter’s Church

St. Peter’s Church

St. Peter's Church, or Bishop J.W. Colenso's Cathedral, stands at the corner of Church and Chapel...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za