Nongoma

A new magisterial office was established here in 1887. The locals named it kwaNongoma (‘place of the juggler’) after king Zwide, chief of the Ndwandwe who was considered to be the juggler. It was first called Ndwandwe but was later changed to Nongoma.

One of the reasons why Nongoma was chosen as headquarters for the magisterial district was that it lay between two groups of Zulu who were regularly at war with each other; the uSuthu of Dinizulu and the Mandlakazi. This strategy was not very successful as the followers of Dinizulu razed the town of Nongoma to the ground shortly after the magisterial office was built.

The largest hospital in KwaZulu is at Nongoma and was established by the Benedictine monks. Plant growth in the area is mainly bushveld and farmers subsist by practising mixed farming in the district.

Harding

Harding

This is the most important town in the Alfred district. It was established as a military outpost...

Matatiele

Matatiele

At the turn of the century this was one of the wildest corners of the country but is today...

Kokstad

Kokstad

The town is situated at the southern foot of Mount Currie (2224m) and is the capital of Grikwaland...

Greytown

Greytown

Established 1850, and named after Sir George Grey, Governor of the Cape Colony. Greytown is known...

Mooi River

Mooi River

Afrikaans for 'pretty river' and it is named after the tributary of the Thukela River, which...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za