Nongoma

A new magisterial office was established here in 1887. The locals named it kwaNongoma (‘place of the juggler’) after king Zwide, chief of the Ndwandwe who was considered to be the juggler. It was first called Ndwandwe but was later changed to Nongoma.

One of the reasons why Nongoma was chosen as headquarters for the magisterial district was that it lay between two groups of Zulu who were regularly at war with each other; the uSuthu of Dinizulu and the Mandlakazi. This strategy was not very successful as the followers of Dinizulu razed the town of Nongoma to the ground shortly after the magisterial office was built.

The largest hospital in KwaZulu is at Nongoma and was established by the Benedictine monks. Plant growth in the area is mainly bushveld and farmers subsist by practising mixed farming in the district.

Ladysmith

Ladysmith

The 100 years of Ladysmith's existence has three distinct era's, the first commenced with the...

Weenen

Weenen

Weenen was founded in 1838. The name means 'weeping', a reminder of the massacres inflicted on the...

Estcourt

Estcourt

Laid out on the Bushmen's River in 1848, it was first named Bushmen's River Post or Bushmen's...

Winterton

Winterton

In 1905 the Natal government built a weir across the Little Tugela River and founded an irrigation...

Bergville

Bergville

Laid out in 1895 on the farm Klein Waterfall and named Bergville in 1903, referring to its...

lxopo

lxopo

lxopo was established in 1878 and called Stuartstown in honour of the district's magistrate, but...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za