Nongoma

A new magisterial office was established here in 1887. The locals named it kwaNongoma (‘place of the juggler’) after king Zwide, chief of the Ndwandwe who was considered to be the juggler. It was first called Ndwandwe but was later changed to Nongoma.

One of the reasons why Nongoma was chosen as headquarters for the magisterial district was that it lay between two groups of Zulu who were regularly at war with each other; the uSuthu of Dinizulu and the Mandlakazi. This strategy was not very successful as the followers of Dinizulu razed the town of Nongoma to the ground shortly after the magisterial office was built.

The largest hospital in KwaZulu is at Nongoma and was established by the Benedictine monks. Plant growth in the area is mainly bushveld and farmers subsist by practising mixed farming in the district.

Hluhluwe

Hluhluwe

The town of Hluhluwe is one of the most important tourist attractions in the northern region of...

Babanango

Babanango

A mountain called Babanango is situated about 69km north of Melmoth and looks down on a town with...

Ulundi

Ulundi

Site of the royal village of Zulu, previously capital of KwaZulu, and the name in Zulu means 'the...

Richard’s Bay

Richard’s Bay

Takes its name from the bay at the mouth of the Mhlathuze River, which was named after Sir...

Eshowe

Eshowe

Proclaimed in 1915, named after the sound of the wind through the trees or after ishowe, a...

Empangeni

Empangeni

The Norwegian Mission Society first established it in 1851 as a mission station. It takes its name...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za