Nongoma

A new magisterial office was established here in 1887. The locals named it kwaNongoma (‘place of the juggler’) after king Zwide, chief of the Ndwandwe who was considered to be the juggler. It was first called Ndwandwe but was later changed to Nongoma.

One of the reasons why Nongoma was chosen as headquarters for the magisterial district was that it lay between two groups of Zulu who were regularly at war with each other; the uSuthu of Dinizulu and the Mandlakazi. This strategy was not very successful as the followers of Dinizulu razed the town of Nongoma to the ground shortly after the magisterial office was built.

The largest hospital in KwaZulu is at Nongoma and was established by the Benedictine monks. Plant growth in the area is mainly bushveld and farmers subsist by practising mixed farming in the district.

Louwsburg

Louwsburg

Named after David Louw, a pioneer in the area. The economy is based on cattle and maize. Louwsburg...

Paulpietersburg

Paulpietersburg

This  is  one  of  the  districts of  northern  kwaZulu-Natal that  was  once  part  of  the  Zuid...

Mtunzini

Mtunzini

This was once the favourite holiday resort of John Dunn, who was the only white man that was ever...

Glukstad

Glukstad

Gluckstad means 'city of luck' in German. The town was founded by a small group of German farmers...

Pongola

Pongola

The town originated during the depression of the 1930's and one of the schemes, to circumvent the...

Melmoth

Melmoth

Melmoth was established as a magisterial office in the time of the British annexation of Zululand...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za