Melmoth

Melmoth was established as a magisterial office in the time of the British annexation of Zululand in 1887. It was named after Sir Melmoth Osborne, resident-commissioner and chief magistrate of the region. Horticulturists discovered that the mountains around the town were ideal for the planting of wattle plantations and in 1926 a factory was built to process the wattle bark. The economy of the town is still dependent on wattle and pine plantations.

Hluhluwe

Hluhluwe

The town of Hluhluwe is one of the most important tourist attractions in the northern region of...

Babanango

Babanango

A mountain called Babanango is situated about 69km north of Melmoth and looks down on a town with...

Ulundi

Ulundi

Site of the royal village of Zulu, previously capital of KwaZulu, and the name in Zulu means 'the...

Richard’s Bay

Richard’s Bay

Takes its name from the bay at the mouth of the Mhlathuze River, which was named after Sir...

Eshowe

Eshowe

Proclaimed in 1915, named after the sound of the wind through the trees or after ishowe, a...

Empangeni

Empangeni

The Norwegian Mission Society first established it in 1851 as a mission station. It takes its name...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za