Harding

This is the most important town in the Alfred district. It was established as a military outpost during 1877 in the foothills of lngeliberg after Grikwaland East was annexed to the Cape Colony. The town was named after Sir Walter Harding, who became the first chief justice of Natal in 1858. It was necessary to establish the military post as he outlaws and freebooters were very active in the area. The building of a railway, which is currently managed by the Alfred County Railway, stimulated its forestry industry and dairy produce has also become an important commodity.

Louwsburg

Louwsburg

Named after David Louw, a pioneer in the area. The economy is based on cattle and maize. Louwsburg...

Paulpietersburg

Paulpietersburg

This  is  one  of  the  districts of  northern  kwaZulu-Natal that  was  once  part  of  the  Zuid...

Mtunzini

Mtunzini

This was once the favourite holiday resort of John Dunn, who was the only white man that was ever...

Glukstad

Glukstad

Gluckstad means 'city of luck' in German. The town was founded by a small group of German farmers...

Nongoma

Nongoma

A new magisterial office was established here in 1887. The locals named it kwaNongoma ('place of...

Pongola

Pongola

The town originated during the depression of the 1930's and one of the schemes, to circumvent the...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za