Established 1850, and named after Sir George Grey, Governor of the Cape Colony. Greytown is known as Umgungundlovana “the place of the little elephant”
Since its founding in 1850 Greytown has experienced a lively history and was also subject to periodic invasions from the Zulu. Claims about the discovery of gold, silver and coal in the vicinity have caused some excitement but the principal industry today is the cultivation of wattle for the tannic acid in its bark.
An interesting museum is housed in the attractive old residency that was built in 1886 as a home for the magistrate. It exhibits relics of yesteryear and two interestinq old steam engines that were used by the farmers for transport. There is an old British Naval gun that was brought to Greytown at about 1860 and the magistrate used to fire it when the English mail arrived which, in those days, was about once every.two months.
General Louis Botha, first Prime Minister of the Union of South Africa in 1910, was born on a farm 5km south of Greytown.
Kranskop is 34km north east of the town and is a landmark of a 1127m high vertical rock with two openings. The rock is not this high, this figure is probably the height above sea level. Kranskop is nonetheless a spectacular lookout over the Tugela Valley, and the rock is well worth a visit. The Zulu have a myth about young girls who, weary of carrying water from the river, asked the mountain to give them sanctuary. It obliged by opening a great cavern and once inside the cavern, the entrance closed and they were never seen again.