Estcourt

Laid out on the Bushmen’s River in 1848, it was first named Bushmen’s River Post or Bushmen’s Drift. The name was changed in 1863 to Estcourt, said to be in honour of a British Member of Parliament, Thomas H Estcourt, a friend of an early settler, J W Wilks.

Because of problems with Bushman cattle-raiders, a fort. was built in 1849 to guard the fording place (drift) over the Bushman River. Lt. Col. Dunnford, after whom it is named, built the fort and it is still standing today. Numerous ghosts reputedly haunt it. The Fort Dunnford Museum was opened in 1980 and is housed in the old fort-overlooking Escort. Its main exhibit is the fort itself as being a fine example of the late Victorian military architecture.

The town is currently the centre of a considerable industry in livestock. Its co-operative bacon factory produces great quantities of sausages, bacon and ham, etc and Nestle has a large dairy product factory there as well.

Louwsburg

Louwsburg

Named after David Louw, a pioneer in the area. The economy is based on cattle and maize. Louwsburg...

Paulpietersburg

Paulpietersburg

This  is  one  of  the  districts of  northern  kwaZulu-Natal that  was  once  part  of  the  Zuid...

Mtunzini

Mtunzini

This was once the favourite holiday resort of John Dunn, who was the only white man that was ever...

Glukstad

Glukstad

Gluckstad means 'city of luck' in German. The town was founded by a small group of German farmers...

Nongoma

Nongoma

A new magisterial office was established here in 1887. The locals named it kwaNongoma ('place of...

Pongola

Pongola

The town originated during the depression of the 1930's and one of the schemes, to circumvent the...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za