Bergville

Laid out in 1895 on the farm Klein Waterfall and named Bergville in 1903, referring to its position at the foot of the Drakensberg, popularly known as The Berg.

The village of Bergville was laid out in 1895 and is perfectly situated for those journeying to resorts and reserves in the Northern Drakensberg. One enters the town over a quaint bridge straddling the Tugela River. It is the terminus of a branch railway line from Estcourt and the nearest town to Mont-aux-Sources and Mnweni.

During the Anglo-Boer War the British built a blockhouse in town and it is currently used as a monument and museum.

Some of the best maize in South Africa is produced in the area.

Location: 52km from Ladysmith, 19km from Winterton

Glencoe

Glencoe

The village of Glencoe was founded as a settlement in 1899 when the railway line from Durban to...

Ladysmith

Ladysmith

The 100 years of Ladysmith's existence has three distinct era's, the first commenced with the...

Weenen

Weenen

Weenen was founded in 1838. The name means 'weeping', a reminder of the massacres inflicted on the...

Estcourt

Estcourt

Laid out on the Bushmen's River in 1848, it was first named Bushmen's River Post or Bushmen's...

Winterton

Winterton

In 1905 the Natal government built a weir across the Little Tugela River and founded an irrigation...

lxopo

lxopo

lxopo was established in 1878 and called Stuartstown in honour of the district's magistrate, but...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za