Bergville

Laid out in 1895 on the farm Klein Waterfall and named Bergville in 1903, referring to its position at the foot of the Drakensberg, popularly known as The Berg.

The village of Bergville was laid out in 1895 and is perfectly situated for those journeying to resorts and reserves in the Northern Drakensberg. One enters the town over a quaint bridge straddling the Tugela River. It is the terminus of a branch railway line from Estcourt and the nearest town to Mont-aux-Sources and Mnweni.

During the Anglo-Boer War the British built a blockhouse in town and it is currently used as a monument and museum.

Some of the best maize in South Africa is produced in the area.

Location: 52km from Ladysmith, 19km from Winterton

Melmoth

Melmoth

Melmoth was established as a magisterial office in the time of the British annexation of Zululand...

Hluhluwe

Hluhluwe

The town of Hluhluwe is one of the most important tourist attractions in the northern region of...

Babanango

Babanango

A mountain called Babanango is situated about 69km north of Melmoth and looks down on a town with...

Ulundi

Ulundi

Site of the royal village of Zulu, previously capital of KwaZulu, and the name in Zulu means 'the...

Richard’s Bay

Richard’s Bay

Takes its name from the bay at the mouth of the Mhlathuze River, which was named after Sir...

Eshowe

Eshowe

Proclaimed in 1915, named after the sound of the wind through the trees or after ishowe, a...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

SAcoronavirus.co.za