Laid out in 1895 on the farm Klein Waterfall and named Bergville in 1903, referring to its position at the foot of the Drakensberg, popularly known as The Berg.
The village of Bergville was laid out in 1895 and is perfectly situated for those journeying to resorts and reserves in the Northern Drakensberg. One enters the town over a quaint bridge straddling the Tugela River. It is the terminus of a branch railway line from Estcourt and the nearest town to Mont-aux-Sources and Mnweni.
During the Anglo-Boer War the British built a blockhouse in town and it is currently used as a monument and museum.
Some of the best maize in South Africa is produced in the area.
Location: 52km from Ladysmith, 19km from Winterton