Limpopo – Places to See

Magoebaskloof

Magoebaskloof

The lower portion of Magoebaskloof and the adjacent slopes of the escarpment are tea producing areas. Two large estates, Grenshoek and Middelkop belong to the Industrial Development Corporation. Cultivation of tea began in 1963. Through magnificent sweeps of mostly...

Fort Hendrina

Fort Hendrina

Fort Hendrina is a colapsable iron fortification that was used by the Boer forces during the Anglo-Boer War. It was initially erected near Lovedale Park, the Cooksley's Farm at the T junction at Vleyfontein on the Fort Edward road. It was also known as Fort Edward but...

The Old Fort – Marabastad

The Old Fort – Marabastad

Situated a few kilometers south of Polokwane (Pietersburg), on the farm Sand River. The British manned seven forts in the Transvaal during the First Transvaal War of Independence (1880-1881 ); they were situated at Pretoria, Potchefstroom, Rustenburg, Lydenburg,...

Eersteling

Eersteling

The Transvaal first gold rush took place in 1871 when Edward Button, in partnership with William Pigg, discovered gold on the farm Eersteling. A stamp battery and steam engine were ordered from England, and Button imported Aberdeen granite with which to build the...

The Louis Trichardt Monument

The Louis Trichardt Monument

Stands on the left-hand side, 6km north of Polokwane (Pietersburg). The monument is built in such a way that visitors may mount it to a platform, which gives a fine view of the route the trekkers took. It incorporates a map in bronze, which illustrates the whole area,...

Bakone Malapa Museum

Bakone Malapa Museum

At the Bakoni Malapa Museum outside Polokwane (Pietersburg), the lifestyle of the Bakoni of Matlala, one of the three groups constituting the Northern Sotho, has been recreated in a living open-air museum. The 12 structures erected here, reflecting the life style of a...

Art Collection

Art Collection

The collection is the pride of Polokwane (Pietersburg) with more than 800 pieces. It is the most extensive municipal collection outside the well-known art centres in the county. What's more, Polokwane (Pietersburg) boasts the most per capita sculptures per square area...

Melted Guns

Melted Guns

To be seen in the Library Gardens in Hans van Rensburg Street. At the end of the war against Magoeba in 1893, all the guns that were confiscated were burnt. This gunmetal memorial was found in 1975 when the golf course was built.

Irish House

Irish House

Across from the civic garden is the Irish House Museum. Representing the cultures found in the area. Also known as the Polokwane (Pietersburg) Museum August Julius Herman Meske decided to build a business on the corner of Vorster and Market Street. In 1906 a fire...

Civic Plaza

Civic Plaza

On the civic plaza there is a collection of statues, busts and monuments that reflect the history of Polokwane (Pietersburg) and its people. Gen. Piet Joubert on a horse: the group of bronze giraffe; Tom Naude; the War memorial that remembers the dead from both world...

Arend Dieperink Museum

Arend Dieperink Museum

The town's cultural history museum, named after Arend Dieperink, its founder and first director, contains many items of local interest, including letters by President Burgers, a bible once owned by the family of Andries Potgieter, an organ built in Canada in 1860 and...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!