Limpopo – Cities and Towns

Steelpoort

Steelpoort

Although it is predominantly mining area Steelpoort is not named for the metal mined in the area. The name, in fact, is the Afrikaans for "steal", and it originated during the Voortrekker era, when someone stole two elephant tusks from a hunter named Frans Joubert. It...

Phalaborwa

Phalaborwa

The name is said to mean 'better here than in the south', referring to the peaceful existence refugees enjoyed after fleeing from the Swazi and Zulu in the south. This is one of the country's youngest towns (1957) and one where the distinction between summer and...

Gravelotte

Gravelotte

South Africa's only emerald mine is found at Gravelotte. The Consolidated Murchison Mine is the world's largest producer of antimony, which is used to make alloys tougher. The name can be traced back to the battle of Gravelotte in the Franco-Prussian war (1870- 1871)....

Hoedspruit

Hoedspruit

We do not know how it was named 'hat creek'. The rev. Frans Lion Cachet of the Dutch Reformed Church is known to have held a meeting here as early as 1865 and the original farm, also called Hoedspruit, was surveyed in 1890. The South African Air Force maintains an...

Bosbokrand

Bosbokrand

'Bushbuck Ridge'. The name refers to the large herds or this antelope, which made the ridge and surrounding countryside their home. The local black people call the place Maviljan. The first trading store was opened in 1884. After the Anglo-Boer War Col. Ludwig von...

Ofcolaco

Ofcolaco

Named after the "Officers Colonial Land Company". Kiwi fruit is one of the products of the region.

Giyani

Giyani

Giyani, in terms of the policy of apartheid during the 1970s and 1980s, was developed as the capital of the self-governing territory of Gazankulu. The territory is 765 OOOha and is the traditional homeland of about 550 000 Shangaan-Tsonga tribes of South Africa. Gaza...

Haenertsburg

Haenertsburg

It is 58km east of Polokwane (Pietersburg). Altitude: 1400m above se-level. Rainfall of 864mm. The village was the centre of the former Woodbush Gold Fields and is named after C F Haenert who was responsible for the start of the gold rush to this area in 1886. On his...

Duiwelskloof

Duiwelskloof

The railway siding round, which the village developed, was first called Modjadji. Later changed to Duiwelskloof ('ravine of the devil'). The most likely origin of the name was that transport riders named it after they had to maneuver their heavily laden ox-wagons up...

Tzaneen

Tzaneen

Established in 1912 as the capital of this district. There are a number of explanations for the name; for example, that it is derived from dzana, 'dance'; from the 'tsana' shrub; from batsanene, 'people of small villages'. It now appears to be of Sotho origin and is...

Sibasa

Sibasa

Situated 72km north of Louis Trichardt, on the main road from Louis Trichardt to Punda Milia. Altitude 740m, Rainfall 1900mm: The village is named after a Venda chief, Tshivhase (Sibasa is a corrupted form). The burial ground of the Venda royal family is near by. In...

Thohoyandou

Thohoyandou

Thohoyandou, meaning 'the head of the elephant' was the capital of Venda and was developed around the previous administrative center, Sibasa. Venda was granted independence in 1979 in terms of the policy of apartheid or 'separate development' and reincorporated into...

To Our Newsletter

To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!